In a move that would make turtles jealous, Papa John’s has released a statement distancing itself from their CEO’s divisive commentary on the NFL’s leadership and ongoing protests.

Two weeks after Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter asserted that it was the NFL’s lack of leadership that was solely responsible for the pizza company’s declining sales, the company has released a statement that backtracks quite a bit.

“The NFL has hurt us,” Schnatter said then. “We are disappointed the NFL and its leadership did not resolve this.” As if it wasn’t enough, he continued his rant, “This should have been nipped in the bud a year and a half ago. The controversy is polarizing the customer, polarizing the country.”

The company has decided that some different toppings are necessary.

It was a risky move to include bashing a group of people that have been so outspoken as of late, but this is probably the safest route that Papa John’s could have taken.

“We posted this today because it became obvious over the last week people didn’t understand our position,” Peter Collins, Papa John’s spokesman said Tuesday. “We should have followed our gut from the beginning, but followed advice not to speak up — it’s time we are clear.”

Not everyone is taking the apology to heart

Fans across the country are having a hard time swallowing this new stance, but it will be interesting if the mea culpa will be enough to win their stomachs back.