With baseball season on the horizon, fantasy baseball follows. Consider our picks of the top 5 fantasy baseball prospects, no matter what your league style is. Some will be playing in point based leagues while others will be participating in rotisserie style leagues, some leagues are fresh and new while some have the same 12 guys going into their fourth and fifth season together.
No matter the circumstances, being crowned champion can always be narrowed down to what one guy was able to do better than the other. Find the one or two players still in the farm league or fighting for that major league spot out of spring that will put your team over the top with talent; such as Cody Bellinger of the Dodgers or Aaron Judge from the Yankees.
Here are the top 5 fantasy baseball prospects of the 2018 season that might just be worth a mid to late round draft pick.
- Chance Sisco C (Baltimore Orioles) : Sisco got his call up last year in September and looks to be the Orioles opening day catcher. As a second round pick out of high school back in 2013 Sisco has worked his way up to the majors with a great bat at the catching position. Something that is always highly touted. In 15 spring training games, Sisco has hit .393 with one dinger and 6 RBI’s. He is a mid-round sleeper. If you opponents lack baseball knowledge, don’t worry about using a middle round pick here. You’ll be happy you did. Projected start date: Opening day
- Ryan McMahon 1B (Colorado Rockies) #41 Ranked prospect: McMahon is a big left handed bat that will have the pleasure of playing at Coors field last year. With the departure of Mark Reyonlyds, the first base position is open and who better to take it then the young gun. In the minors last year McMahon posted a stat line of .355 with 20 homeruns and 88 RBI’s in 119 games. Projected start date: Opening day
- Dillon Peters LHP (Miami Marlins) : Peters who should open the season as a back end starts is an undersized lefty with a big fastball. With 13 Games started in the minors last year. Peters compiled a 7-3 record, with a 1.57 ERA and a 0.92 WHIP with 55 strikeouts. Projected start date: April-May
- Eloy Jimenez OF (Chicago White Sox) #4 ranked prosect : Recognized as the top international prospect back in the 2013 season. Eloy Jimenez has been forcing the White Sox hand has he’s sky rockets through the minor league system. Through 89 games played last season he hit .312 with 19 homeruns and 64 RBI’s. Don’t be surprised when a rebuilding White Sox team brings him up early if he continues that type of success. Projected start date: as early as June as late as August.
- Ronald Acuna OF (Atlanta Braves) #1 Ranked Prospect: Acuna has been tearing it up in the minors now for the last three seasons but with a huge breakout last season in AA and AAA, Acuna should see an early season call up. Through 139 games Acuna hit .325 with 21 homeruns and 82 RBI’s. Projected start date: May-August
Ronald Acuña Jr. pic.twitter.com/W8iRqU5mnr
— Prospects Braves (@ProspectsBraves) March 22, 2018
Any of these five players could be ripe for a big season if the planets align, but there are plenty of other prospects in the system right now that are one injury away from being the next Judge or Bellinger. Just keep your ears to the streets and stay on top of your waiver wire.
Disagree with our top 5 fantasy baseball prospects? Comment below.